Let’s get to the point with the Atlas VPN review. But first, do you need an idea about VPNs? A VPN or Virtual Private Network is a digital protocol that can transform your online browsing experience. Firstly, it gives access to blocked sites. Secondly, it protects your online data from prying eyes.
Does it sound interesting? So, hear us out in this Atlas VPN review. Do you know It has a free tier service? Once you decide to upgrade, simply subscribe to an AtlasVPN premium package.
Last updated on 26 September 2022
Presenting Atlas VPN Review for a Freemium Service
Are you desperately looking for a VPN to support your online anonymity? Here you are, reading the Atlas VPN review for answers.
To start with, it is a rookie in the world of VPNs. It only started in 2019. However, the company has a lofty motto to create a safe and open internet for all who wish so. It’s a yes from our Atlas VPN review team. Moreover, we have six million users of Atlasvpn who will agree. Go ahead and try the Atlas VPN free download to start using it!
Jurisdiction of AtlasVPN
Here are important facts to note in our Atlas VPN review.
- It is under the jurisdiction of the USA.
- It must oblige to the laws of the state laws of Delaware.
- However, the physical office is in Lithuania.
- Also, the workforce behind VPN Atlas is scattered globally. It’s a tight-knit remote system.
- Furthermore, Peakstar Technologies Inc is the trademark company of AtlasVPN
- Since 2021, the Nord Security Group has owned them.
- Dainius Vanagas is the CEO. The PR manager is Ruta Cizinauskaite
Atlas VPN Review: The Mission of this VPN Service
The mission of AtlasVPN is to help folks access free and safe internet. Also, it does not discriminate based on the technical knowledge and budget of the users. So, whether you are a free member or a paid subscriber, VPN Atlas delivers.
What are the company values
AtlasVPN prioritizes quality service at all costs. Therefore, it employs the latest and the most high-end technical expertise to secure its digital pathways.
The VPN Atlas team regularly undertakes thorough internal audits to review its procedures. In addition, it also appoints reliable external auditors such as VerSprite. The core ethics at Atlas is to deliver on the belief that online security is a right, instead of being a privilege. Moreover, the service follows a strict no-log policy. So, it only collects bare-bones information necessary to provide a good service.
Free for all
There is no dearth of free VPN providers. However, they are unreliable, have data caps, and deliver slow streaming speeds. But, AtlasVPN is a pleasant exception in this field. Its free service is accessible to just about anyone! Also, there is no need to put in log in creds to access the free servers. However, only three free servers are available, in New York, LA, and Amsterdam.
- Exceptional security: This Atlas VPN review highly recommends the security features deployed. It uses a combo of military-grade AES-256 plus ChaCha20-Poly1305 encryption. In addition, VPN Atlas follows the SHA-384 and PFS (Perfect Forward Secrecy) cryptographic data transaction techniques.
- Powerful network: You can choose from any of the two most powerful VPN networks. These are the WireGuard and the IP Sec/IKEv2.
Red flags raised for AtlasVPN
In addition, it also asks for your geo-location data. Furthermore, being under US jurisdiction can be risky. Several independent reviewers found trackers embedded in its Android app. Also, the server network is not very big, even with the paid plans. Finally, the kill switch protocol does not seem to work at all times.
The pricing structure of AtlasVPN
Atlas VPN price is one of the lowest in the market. The free tier does not have any time limit. However, if you want to upgrade, three plan tiers are available.
- Firstly, the 1-month plan for $10.99.
- Secondly, the 1-year plan for $47.4. So, the monthly cost will come down to $3.95.
- Thirdly, you can subscribe to the 3-year plan at $ 71.49. Therefore, the per month rate comes down to $1.99.
Besides, all three plans are available under a 30-day money-back guarantee. In addition, you can also utilize the Atlas VPN coupon system. The coupon code ATLASWELCOME is applicable for the 1-year and 3-year plans.
Also, you can pay via credit cards, PayPal, or Gpay.
Summary of Atlas VPN
|Strict no-log policy?||Yes, you're safe|
|Is this provider good for torrenting?||Yes, it's good for P2P and torrents|
|Unblockable Netflix catalogues||US, UK, CA, AU, DE, FR,|
|How many simultaneous connections are available?||This provider allows ∞ multi-logins|
|Server locations||Over 37|
|Supported OS and devices||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV|
|Does it have a refund policy?||Yes, the money-back guarantee lasts up to 30 days|
|Supported protocols||WireGuard, IKEv2/IPSec|
|Type of VPN encryption||Military AES 256 bits encryption|
|Number of IP Addresses||The company doesn't disclose that info|
|Number of VPN Servers?||Over 750|
VPN Atlas actual user experience
We checked its performance on common VPN parameters.
Accessing US Netflix is one of the main reasons for using a VPN. So, can this service do that? We found that Atlas VPN Netflix is well and good. You can unblock US Netflix, log in, and access the libraries. However, the only problem is its small server network.
You may have issues accessing Netflix from countries like Japan and Korea. Also, the free servers suffer a lot of overloading. You should switch over to the paid version for best results. Furthermore, the VPN can also access other streaming services such as BBC iPlayer and Disney Plus.
Torrenting is the acid test for VPNs. The service did not fare too bad. It supports P2P file exchange. Therefore, you can anonymously download torrent files. But, you should consider subscribing to the paid plans. The speed is better.
However, the VPN service does not support port-forwarding and SOCK S5 support. This is a major issue, as noted in this Atlas VPN review. In other words, your ISP can track your torrent downloads. Regional laws forbid torrenting in many places. For example, Indian users should take note.
Does it work in China?
Clear answers are unavailable as to whether it works in China. The company only gave a vague reply that it supports free and fair internet at all places.
Does it support online gaming?
Gamer reviews confirm that VPN Atlas is good. However, the experience is better on the paid servers. The ping and lag were seen to be considerably less. You can also get VIP access to game levels that are otherwise unavailable in your location.
Atlas VPN Review: Top Features
Let’s have another look at the key features.
- Safe Swap: They have this unique privacy feature. This allows the rotating of multiple IP addresses from a single server.
- Tracker Blocker: The VPN tracks dubious websites to block access to them. Also, you can block ads effectively. Unsolicited ads are a major source of phishing attacks.
- Split Tunneling: One can split traffic on or off the VPN as he wishes. So, choose the apps that require safe browsing and divert them via the VPN. But access the other apps via a traffic tunnel outside the VPN.
- IP Leak protection: AtlasVPN offers good IP leak protection. It performs at the IP v6 level, also covering IP v4.
- Private DNS: This is another outstanding security feature of the VPN Atlas. This is because it owns its DNS servers. This rules out the possibility of DNS leaks.
- Data Breach Monitor: As per this security protocol, the VPN will evaluate your personal data to identify data breaches. So, if your email id is being compromised, the VPN will inform you of the same.
- The Kill Switch: The Kill Switch is a powerful tool to shut down the connection when you feel unsafe. However, it is usually the last option, albeit a highly effective one.
AtlasVPN for Windows Client
Atlas VPN for Windows does have a limitation. It is available only for Windows 10. Setup is very easy. Simply download the app, and start using it. Also, upgrade anytime you want. The speed is quite good. In addition, there are no issues such as speed drops, slowdown, and annoying buffering. Moreover, you can safely access it from public Wi-Fi.
It is also safe to use on Android or iOS. Besides, the app is minimal and clutter-free. Plus, the connect button is very conspicuous. Atlas VPN for PC has several options under the settings tab. Options covered are Analytics, Allow Push Notifications, Kill Switch, and Start on Launch. Also, the user has the choice to toggle between the on/off mode on these options. Moreover, you can select the preferred VPN protocol from the settings tab (WireGuard/ IPSec/IKEv2).
Can you use the VPN Atlas to access other platforms
You can use the protocol on other platforms besides Windows. Eligible platforms include Android, iOS, Fire Stick/Fire TV.
Atlas VPN Review: Test Results
VPN speed relies on several parameters. These include the physical distance between device and server, and the ISP bandwidth. The processing power of your device and regional bandwidth restrictions also affect it. Nevertheless, the test results were encouraging.
With or without the VPN, the speed data was good. The download speed on the German server was 456.38 Mbps without the VPN. With the VPN Atlas, it marked 443.70 Mbps. But, for the fastest speed, you should use ExpressVPN.
Leak tests were conducted using IPLeak.net. There were no IP v6, WebRTC, or DNS leaks. However, ExpressVPN is always the most secured service.
The VPN Atlas customer support is not very encouraging. There’s no live support available on the service page. You got to submit your query and receive a ticket. Also, there is no update on the duration of the waiting time. However, they are available on major socials such as Meta, Instagram, and Twitter. Finally, the service page enlists email@example.com as the contact ID.
Comparing with major competitors
ExpressVPN is clearly the boss with more than 3,000 servers. The security measures are perfect. Also, it has an amazing customer support response. Moreover, they had been in business for ten years before VPN Atlas came to the scene.
NordVPN is also a major competitor. It also has a massive server network and is quite popular in China.
FAQs for you
What is AtlasVPN?
This is a freemium Virtual Private Network under US jurisdiction.
Can it unblock Netflix?
It can, but there are country-specific limitations because of its small server network.
Can I use it for free?
The free version has three server locations with no time limits.
Is it safe?
It has some of the best security features for a freemium service.
Is it a good service?
The speed test results were good. Neither did it show any leaks.
This VPN service is a good one for a freemium service. The paid plans are not expensive either. However, you can also choose ExpressVPN. It is a VPN industry veteran with a magnificent global server network.
Let's have a glance at the pros and cons.
- Good free version
- Budget VPN
- Nice speed
- Additional security features
- Unlimited connections
- Free version can be slow